01 February 2006

My Pseudotumor!!!! Sounds Scary but wait

Well on December 18th, 2005, I woke up and my eye was red, painful and my lid was nice a swollen. My hubby had duty that day and a friend took my kids to a Christmas Party, so I decided that a trip to the ER was on my agenda that day. Now I rarely get sick (knock on wood), but I have had issues with my eyes in the past so I thought what the heck. Well in the ER I was bumped ahead of puking kids and sick adults, I felt a bid wierd but they told me that anything with the eye is serious. Well I saw the doctor and he said I had a corneal ulcer, probably from my contacts and that I needed some drops and to see an opthamologist. Well by the time I got out of there every pharmacy was closed so I figured that I would just get the meds filled the next day. Well I woke up the next morning and of course the eye hurt and it looked worse. So I called the Opthamologist and I needed a referral to see them and I called my doc and they wanted to see me. I flipped and told them, what if I go blind? Within 30 minutes the doctor called me and said that my referral was done and that I needed to be at the opthamologists office by noon. I got to the opthamologist's office and after an extensive exam she comfirmed that it was an ulcer and that I was going to have to be on antibiotic eye drops and oral antibiotics for quite a while. She then told me that my optic nerves were swollen and that she was going to send me for a MRI. I was floored, I had never had anything done like that, what was going on. I was so in shock that I did not ask any questions, well I had to go back the next day for a check up and she told me to get some blood work done and I finally asked what is going on. Well apparently if you have a tumor in your brain it will cause your nerves to swell. Well the next day I had the MRI and it came back clear but my thought were like what if I die, I have two small boys and I want them to know me. Or what if I go blind what will my last pictures be? There were tons of what ifs and tons of tears shed. But I stopped and thought thank God its wasnt a tumor. Well I was diagnosed with a Pseudotumor (False tumor), or also known as Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. My eye doctor then told me that she wanted to send me to a neurologist for a spinal tap. That another cause of the problem could be high pressure of my spinal fluid. I would need the tap to get the opening pressure and then they would drain off fluid if it was high until it was a little lower. They would also test this fluid for different diseases and other things. Well It was like 2 weeks before the tap and I got to enjoy Christmas but I was still a little down. I hate needles and I just had recurring thoughts of the needle going into my back. My husband was here for the MRI but he was going out to sea for the tap. He was worried and so was I. Thank God for email. I have to go now but I will continue with the tap story in a bit!!!!!!!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristi, I'm sure everything with your eye will work out for the best. I've enjoyed reading into your mind on this blog, I miss that and I also miss our high school years when things and life was so much easier. Thanks a bunch for sending me this link.

2/24/2006 2:50 PM  
Blogger Morgan said...

I am not sure you will get this since it is an older post but I also have PTC and have been dealing with it for over a year. Things will get better.

3/04/2006 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home