01 May 2006

Chock full of festivals


Alright so this weekend was the Crawfish Festival in Woodbine, Georgia and yes we attended. Both of my boys were in the parade and they even have a Little Miss Crawfish pageant. I have always wondered what makes a city decide that they are going to hold a certain festival. We live in an area that plays host to more festivals in a 30 mile radius then I have ever seen. In September the town where I live hosts a Catfish Festival, the next town over hosts a Rock Shrimp festival in October, then the county seat hosts the Crawfish Festival in April!! I really did not know that these products were dominant enough in this area to deserve a festival. Now you all must understand that I do not like lake or ocean food. If it lives in water and swims I do not eat it. (I am sure it would all be good but I have texture issues.) My husband is a fan of all of these food so the festival goer he is. The last time we did the Crawfish festival he had Gator on a stick. MMmmmm sounds delightful, and to everyone's surprise he said it tasted just like......You got it chicken. Well we had a good time, the weather was perfect in the 80s with a breeze. The kids had a blast and my husband ate 2 pounds of crawfish, and he even sucks the heads. As appealing as that sounds I will assure you that it was not beautiful. There was a whole family that stopped to watch my darling eat his tiny crustaceans. I think they were travelers and trying to figure out what the hell they had stumbled upon. To the best of my knowledge the south has some of the best festivals around. Georgia plays host to the Redneck Olympics in August. There is also a Grits Festival in South Carolina. And a Rattlesnake Rodeo in my home state of Alabama. There are so many more but those just are interesting. Next weekend is the Shrimp Festival in Fernandina Beach FL. It is only 30 minutes from us and we are defiantly going to that one. There is going to be a Pirate Invasion and all. Although once again I will not be eating the festival namesake, my husband will be in all of his glory. At least this one won't be a messy! Hope everyone had a good weekend!!!!!!!!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger B.R.L said...

We also celebrate many times . One is the bass festival. One of those things from the lake. We were the last communitee that celebated VJ day. We have a super large mushroom under us " Fungus festival" It fun to get together.

5/01/2006 1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was jealous of the seafood until I read he sucked the heads! Yuck! LOL :)

5/01/2006 10:30 AM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

I wonder if there is a town somewhere that has a pickled pig's feet festival. My dad used to love those.

5/01/2006 12:58 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

i am eith you...I have a texture problem so that is why I do not make my kids eat anything they do not want since I grew up with parents who made me sit at the table until everythging on my plate was gone.

I like chicken and steak and that is about it. However, I do like frog legs and I tried crocodile and I thought it was good...like chicken, frog legs taste like chicken too.

5/01/2006 1:29 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Damn spelling errors!

5/01/2006 1:30 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

We have a strawberry festival here and its great....and not far from here they have a pumpkin festival and you can get pumpkin ice cream, cookies, cake or whatever. They are always fun. Esp the pumpkin festival which has a big parade on Sat afternoon that goes through the town.

5/01/2006 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home