09 March 2006

The Poker Table


Well my husband is trying to become a master craftsman. The key word here is trying. Earlier this week he started his latest project, a poker table. Now he has built these in the past for other people, but nothing like he is attempting for himself. His mother works for a company that deals with some nice wood so on a recent trip to Alabama we returned with some really nice and expensive oak board. I was like, "Alright what are you going to do with them now." He replied, "Make myself an really nice Poker table." Now this means A there is eventually going to be a poker game taking place at my home, and B that this is going to cost us for more materials!! Well he started on Sunday, and I have lost touch with him since then, I believe he has moved into the garage and just naps here in the house. Its been really quiet in here to top it all off. Well this table has some real intricate details and I am fully supporting him. Yesterday he called me on my cell to tell me that he needed 1 more board and it was going to cost $10. Alright, everything is going smoothly at this point. He is in such a good mood. Well he finishes all 8 chip/drink holders and decides to mock them up in the house, that is when in all went down hill. My husband cut the angles incorrectly on $200.00 worth of wood, now thank god that we only paid 10 for the one board but he was furious. He wanted to burn it all and never have a poker table. Now you see, I kept telling him for 2 hours their has got to be some way to fix this, after all I am enjoying you in the garage. No he insists, he is pissed!! After much deliberation, he does it, comes up with a plan, only to cost more money. Why is it when a man starts a project 9 out of 10 times it will fail and then cost more to fix it then the whole thing cost in the first place? But then again, my husband has been sucessful in building small things and he should not have expected perfection in the first big major thing that he has tried. But then again when this hobby is over there will be another much costlier one right behind it. Men get too hyped on new things and then get too burned out too quickly on them. God help me!!!

Energy and persistence conquer all things - Benjamin Franklin

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Ash! I can just picture him all pissed about that! I know in the end, however long it takes or costs, it will be great! He is great with wood! I wish I had him build me some doggy stairs before he left so Cubby could get on the bed by himself! Now does he expect you to make food for all the poker parties? LOL!

3/09/2006 11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home