30 March 2006

The Stone Baby....What!?

I am one for watching medical shows, my husband cant stand them and he does not understand why I can be entertained off of someone's problems or defects. I think that is why I want to be a nurse. I am truly interested in helping people and witnessing these problems and anomolities. The other night I started watching this show about a woman who was basically pregnant for 47 years. It happened somewhere in the middle east, but she had gone to the hospital while pregnant because she was having pains. After her arrival she witnessed another lady screaming for her life and she fled the hospital only to carry this etopic fetus inside of her for the next 47 years. The referred to it as the "quiet baby", she finally returned to the hospital recently to have it removed. Of course now she is a little frail old woman. The doctors went in and surgically removed this baby that had grown into her organs and such. After 47 years it had calcified into basically a rock baby. Can you even imagine carrying that thing around with you for that long. I mean 9 months is really pushing it, but 47 years, she must have really been scared to go to that hospital. Although they said that it was good that she had not went to the hospital in the 50's bacause she probably would have died in surgery because of things that were not known or done then. Boy oh boy I am sure that they will look back at us in 50 years and say the same thing. Medicine is constantly changing.
Anyway I just thought that story was interesting, and I really did not have anything else to write about today, I promise to all of my readers I will do better tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a great post! Very interesting! I can't belive it! It's almost as bizzare as the aunt in MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING talking about having her twin removed from her neck! She was lucky it didn't kill her cause I have heard it can. But as you said the surgery could have too back then! What the human body can and can't do is amazing!

3/30/2006 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home