31 July 2006

Times sure have changed


Summer vacation is dwindling down for us here in Georgia!!! My son, Dylan, starts back on August 8. The school supplies are bought!!! The school clothes shopping is done!! Now I am just waiting on the big day. It has been a good Summer for the most part. I haven't done everything that I had planned to do but my kids are not complaining and I still have a little bit of time left. I am ready for school to be back in, I know that is a shame but I am ready for a little me time. As it stands the husband will be gone, Avery, my youngest, will be starting back Morning School on Aug 16th and I will be starting my college on Aug 17th. I will have Tuesday/Thursday classes and Avery will have Tuesday-Thursday Classes. Wednesdays are all mine!!!
A while back I told someone that I felt horrible because when the kids acted up I just couldn't wait for school to start back. I said I felt like I was just brushing my ornery kids off on someone else. That person replied, "What else do you have for your kids to do. You can't send them out all day to roam the neighborhood, there is no telling who or what is out there these days." I really thought on this. I guess sending your kids to school is the only other supposed safe environment that you can send them to where you can actually have a break. Now more than ever the role of the teacher has become even more so important than ever before

When I was a kid my mom just sent me out all day long, in the heat, and to just roam around getting into god knows what. Now days, you just can't do that first off, someone will call child services if your kids are out and unattended. Then second you have to fear other people, someone might decide to kidnap them or heck there might even be a pedophile or two lurking around just waiting for an unattended kid.

Things sure have changed from me being a kid, you just can get away with anything anymore. I remember once I was 9 and my mom and I were in the grocery store and I wanted something really bad but she would not buy it so she spanked me in the store, just take that scenario and put it into todays times. She would have gotten like a million dirty looks and there would have been some woman that needed to speak her opinion about child rearing. And then there would be the constant fear, I hope the wrong person did not see me do that and call the cops for child abuse.

I really hate it that I have not been a good blogger, but I hope that everyone has tons of patience with me and I should be back to normal in a couple of weeks when school has settled down and we are in our new routines.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Kristi, you are not the only mom that feels this way. Just think if you were the kind that worked and had your kids in daycare all the time!!!!!!(Not that there is anything wrong with that cuz I know some people have no choice.)

I remember my mom telling us to run around the house a few times to get our energy out. Now, I tell my five year old the same thing but he does it in the house and runs around the staicase about ten times.

We bought our school supplies this past weekend, too. This is the first time for the 5 year old. He needs to go to school to get some social interaction. My 11 year old had a blast picking out her own supplies and is going to the junior high for the first time. We still have clothes shopping to do.

It is unfortunate we cannot just send the kids out to play and not worry about them. I like to think our parents were lucky they did not have to worry about it like we do today. (Or is it we are more aware today and they did not report things back then like they do today?)

7/31/2006 2:03 PM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

I have been thinking about that for awhile. I played out side with no supervision and so did my children. When I have my grandkids I am there with them. That not quite true. This summer I let them play in the yard with out me and one time I let them go to the school playground to play. I do live in a safer area.

8/01/2006 2:27 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Kristi I cant believe your school starts that early. wow...Your not the only Mom who is glad to see school start....the first morning I always got a cup of tea ( or a cold coke) and sat out on my porch and enjoyed the quiet! lol. You knew where they were so you could kick back a little and relax.
We used to go out and play all day long too, but times sure have changed...we never heard of a pedophile. What a shame this world has changed so much...its sad for the kids. Good luck with school Kristi!!!!!! huggs~

8/01/2006 3:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I used to run to the shop to do errands for my mum at nine years old!

8/01/2006 5:49 AM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

Our school doesn't start here until September. I remember those days as a kid. Half the time I was gone on my bike and my parents had no idea where I was but they didn't seem toi worry. Life was much simpler then.

8/01/2006 10:13 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Listen, I'm the teacher so I know I am not supposed to say this -- but I'm not certain I'm ready to go back yet!

Thanks for your kind words on my blog. Even discounting the ten pounds the camera may add, my pictures are staying hidden until I am much slimmer.

8/02/2006 12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home