18 July 2006

Dylan and Karate!!

How come it always seems there is a problem with the men in my life.....like my husband with the iPod dilemma and now it is my son. I posted about him before and how he is always unhappy with something. Well along with the marrige enriching counseling, we are also doing family counseling so we as a familly can be on the same page.

My latest dilemma is with Dylan my 7 year old son. He has done Karate since he was 4, when we moved here he did not want to do it anymore. So I did not enroll him in the local Karate school. Well after school began last year he requested to join the school, so I did. At first he really enjoyed it and then it started to become more and more of a hassle to get him to go. I started to dread the 2 days a week I had to get him to go because they were always filled with arguing and hate. He hated going or did not feel like going. But I pushed and pushed and threatned to take things away from him if he did not go. Well I have gotten to the point, I am tired of fighting with him. I am tired of paying $100 a month for something that he absolutly hates to do. I want to pull him out and he wants to be pulled out of the program. But I don't know should I just keep him in. He is really really good at it.

Thanks for all of the honeymoon ideas....I think I am leaning towards a caribbean cruise....he'll get the cruise part and I'll get the island part!!!

10 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

go for the Cruise!!

I say dont take him if he doesnt want to do it. I was devestated when my daughter gave up cheerleading but its what she wanted. My son had to give up Karate when the place in my town shut down. But now he lives in with his dad and started back up taking it and was a national champion in Grappling last year (for his age and weight class) so if you son wants to do it later he can.

7/18/2006 8:58 PM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

My mother made me take accodian lessons and it was always a hassle. I don't think any good came out of it. Don't make him. ( not a professional opinion just a reaction from my childhood).

7/18/2006 9:50 PM  
Blogger L said...

Why fight a battle if you dont have to, if he dont want to go dont make him.

Lying on an island beach sounds great. ;)

7/19/2006 1:17 AM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

I took my daughter out of dance lessons when she was 10 years old b/c all she did was whine and complain.

years later, she said I should have made her continue....

yeah, right!

pay to hear her whine, complain and cry? and I had to take my lunch hour from work at 3:00 to take her!

7/19/2006 1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a particular reason he does not wanna go? If he is that adamnat about it I would let him quit. But not sign him up for anything for a long time because I know he has done this to you before. It would teach him and save you some money!

7/19/2006 10:34 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

My son did karate at 9 and the pressure from the karate school for him to enter competitions and sign up for the extra instruction was taking the joy out of it. Plus two days a week was too much.
As adults we try different classes and things and decide it isn't what we want to do afterall. so why make a small child do what they don't want anymore.

My feeling is that just because someone is good at something doesn't mean they should do it or be forced to do it. Besides there is plenty of time for him to do it again. My son took it up as a hobby while he was in the marines.

Best of luck

7/19/2006 10:48 AM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

I think you should Dylan down and ask him what activity he would like to take instead...
Does he like music?
Does he like to swim?
Let him know that he gets a choice of his activities and once he commits, that is his choice for the year.
Good luck with the cruise...It will be spectacular I am certain...
Just make certain that it is not during any country's hurricane season...

7/19/2006 11:08 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Oh that cruise sounds so nice. Don't waste your money on the karate. One day he might look back and wish he had stayed in it, and take it up again. Not worth pushing the issue.
I hated being in piano and my mom made me go. I was so so so glad when she let me quit.

7/19/2006 6:29 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Have you asked him resonably -- when it wasn't time to get ready to go -- why he doesn't like the class? Would he instead like to try another class with a different instructor? Or does he want out all together? Do you stay while he's taking the class.

I am asking because of a coach with my step-son. The coach was very verbally abusive and because we were at work we did not know. We made the child complete his commitment even though he was being ridiculed and shamed. It wouldn't have happened had we listened.

7/19/2006 7:46 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I would let him quit and then I would not let him join anything that costs money for a while....its not worth it to get everybody all flustered up for somethign he doesnt even enjoy.

7/19/2006 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home