06 July 2006

Ugh....I just Love the Navy!!!!

Yes I will admit I am proud of my husband and his Navy career. It really takes a special and dedicated person to do what he does. My husband is stationed in the Submarine Force of the United States Navy. And I do believe that they just love to make the Navy family suffer.

My summer with my husband is officially over, the fun will go on but just without him most of the time. You see his submarine came home today. They have to switch out crews and he will be working late days and sleeping on the boat every 3 to 4 days as "duty" for the next couple of weeks. During this time he will be lacked of sleep, irritable, and testy. It is not his fault it is the boats fault. Last December a guy off of the boat was so overworked and tired that he came home and started some oil for some fries and fell asleep. His family woke up to the house in flames, they lost everything. Everyone survived the fire but they did not have rentors insurance and lived in Navy housing so they took donations and handouts from all of the families off of the boat and other people in the Submarine community!!
Now with my husband, he will just spend most of the time he has left at home asleep, so I will feel bad because he is so overworked and tired that I do not have any expectations around the house, but then I get frustrated because I have to do everything. So by the time he goes, he is ready and I am ready too just so he can sleep and I can get on with everything with no one to bitch about. Then the journey begins, for the next couple of months I am both mom and dad, I am the lady of the house and the handyman. My independance grows even stronger than before and I get in a whole new pattern of things. I only hear from my husband via snail mail, that is if he remembers to take stamps and envelopes. And if I am really lucky I will get some email but 9 out of 10 times they can recieve it but not send it. I hate to tell my husband what is going on with us for fear of upsetting him or making him jealous and all of his letters are about how much he misses being at home and how much he loves us. Then the time comes, he is home...yipee but he is more like a stranger at that point. You see time doesn't stop while his is gone, he will miss some birthdays and possibly holidays. Important things and just stupid things. They get the news but only the really important things never the little things. But you better believe that to make up for missing all of that he is fed the finest of foods and watches movies that aren't even out on dvd yet. I really do not think that is a fair trade. But that is what has to be done. But when he does come back, then we go into a cycle of short workdays and time to spend with one another and the kids.
So with that if I do not post everyday, you know where I will be, spending any little smidgen of time I have left with my husband. I am a Submarine Wife....its the toughest job in the Navy, and someone has to do it!!!!

11 Comments:

Blogger L said...

Very tough job indeed, enjoy your time with hubby I will be here when you get back.

7/06/2006 11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it. I bitch about Durks job but I have it easy compared to you and other boat wives.

Fed the finest of foods? I never heard that! Is that a boomer thing cause Durk has never had anything good to say about the food.

7/07/2006 12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must be hard for him to "re-adjust" coming off the boat.

Enjoy it!

7/07/2006 5:52 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

Oh thats so rough!! I complain about my hubby working nights and sleeping in the day and I never see him but I can least call him and talk to him while he is at work! I dont blame you, spend what time you can with him!

When does he leave this time? I would make sure he has stamps and envelopes!

Hang in there!

7/07/2006 7:39 AM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

I am glad that there are people like you and your husband who are willing to put up with all that nonsense in order to protect the rest of us.

7/07/2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

Oh, it makes me sad for all that he misses and all that your entire family gives...
What a true sacrifice your entire family gives...

7/07/2006 12:42 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I do not envy you and the other military wives because oof the constant change in schedules and roles that you have to be.

hang in there, kiddo!

7/07/2006 3:29 PM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

May I say thankyou for your service of you and your husband. It must be very hard with the different schedules.

7/07/2006 9:58 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

Enjoy your time with him.....God bless you both, your a credit to our country. Thank You!

7/07/2006 10:43 PM  
Blogger Cissa Fireheart said...

Kristi, welcome to the club! Mmi mentioned the finest of foods. Of course, her husband was on fast attacks, and the food there is horrid. Boomers get better food, better berthing, more space...oh yes and ballistic submarines....I have to admit, I am jealous of boomer wives...they see their husbands a whole lot more than fast attack wives do....but you can do it Kristi...it's not as hard if you stay positive, understand your husband doesn't choose to alwasy be on the boat, and does indeed love you and the family....he's just signed his life away to the Navy and they own him is all! LOL

Keep your chin up! It sucks, but after almost 10 years of this crap, I can say that anything else would just be weird....

7/08/2006 12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristi - Is your blog still active? Im looking for submarine wife blogs to add to my blog roll.
Thanks

3/27/2007 12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home