18 June 2006

Happy Fathers Day to all of the Dads out there!!!

I have not seen my biological father since I was 13 years old. And that was just by chance, I was visiting my grandmother in New Jersey (his mom), someone told him I was there and he literally ran over. He was barefooted and drunk. All of my memories of my father seemed to have being drunk as a common factor. Somehow over the years he has managed to piss off everyone in his family and no one talks to him anymore. He is married to wife #3 and raising her grandaughter, and get this lives in Georgia now. He is like 6 hours from me. I used to think that he was the best dad in the whole world, I was 8 when I moved away from him and he made me so many promises and kept in touch, it was more my step mom than him, I later found this out. He had 2 more daughters with my stepmom and the youngest one he only saw once at 3 months old, that is the last time any of us have seen him, that is when he bolted to Georgia. I am still close with my stepmom and my sisters. They are all wonderful people and my sister just finished her first year of college for early childhood education. I am sure she would not have been half the person she is now if he was in her life. We have all realized that we were better off with out our father rather than with him!!! I have a good step father, times between us were rough but I have learned to accept him as the father that I needed and he did the best he could considering. I wrote about him in my mothers day post and I was not nice about him. Yes he was not easy to get along with but I am who I am today because of him. My sisters both had a wonderful man in their life too that have helped them become the wonderful girls that they are today!!
For all of you Fathers out there I wish you a Happy Father's Day.


Here is a little history of how Father's Day Became
The creation of a national day for Dads began back in the 1900s when a grateful daughter wanted to express her deep appreciation for her own father. A gentleman by the name of William Smart, a civil war veteran, was widowed when his wife died in childbirth. Mr. Smart raised his six children on a rural farm in eastern Washington State. When Sonora Louise Smart Dodd, one of Mr. Smart's children, was grown she wanted to show her appreciation for her father. He had shown her a great love and strength in raising her and her siblings as a single parent. So, in 1909, she proposed a day to honor her father in June (the month of her father's birth).The very first Fathers' Day followed on June 19, 1910 in Spokane, Washington. In 1924, President Calvin Coolidge showed support of this becoming a national holiday. However, it wasn't until 1966 when President Lyndon Johnson officially proclaimed Fathers' Day a national holiday to be celebrated on the 3rd Sunday of June.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Father's Day info! I didn't know any of that!

I feel the same way about my dad, as far as I turned out better without him. Sometimes they teach us more not being there than if they were.

Happy Father's Day to Ash! He is a great dad! You got lucky girl. Any man willing to babysit as many kids as he did here all by himself(while we had our parties,lol) is one hell of a man!;)

6/18/2006 4:09 PM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

Thanks for the history lesson. I feel sorry that your father failed you. Perhaps, you are right, the best thing he did for you was leave.

6/18/2006 10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've obviously turned out alright, anyway, Kristi! :D

6/19/2006 8:42 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

My kids feel the same way you do Kristi....my X is usually drunk when he shows up. What a shame what it does to a family. Im glad you had a step Dad that was good to you and how neat that you have stayed in touch with your sisters and step Mother. I see in Mimis comment you have a wonderful husband!!! Im happy for you Sweety...you deserve a wonderful one!!!

6/19/2006 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home