22 May 2006

Me & My Babies...well they aren't babies anymore


I know that many times I have really vented on how my children and my husband drive me nuts but that is what my page is here for and sometimes I think it is a bit therapeutic for me!!! Anyway.....I took a psychology class a couple of years back and I had to write a paper on the age old debate of Nature vs. Nurture. Are we genetically disposed to become the people we are or does nature mold us to the fine human beings that we become?? I think that my children are fine examples of this. I have the two boys ages 7 & 3, they are 2 totally different people, like night and day when it comes to interests and disposition. Now I have been both of their mother since birth and my husband came into my oldest ones life at 14 months and has been here since then. My oldest son sees his father every other weekend for the past year but for the 3 years before that, while we lived in Connecticut the visits were sporadic and sometimes months would pass before the next visit. I have exposed them to the same things never shielding one and not the other. My oldest, Dylan, is a cautious child and always has been, he never liked being dirty, or playing in the dirt. Never liked playing with cars and trucks always liked bugs and worms and dinosaurs. Now my youngest, Avery, is a risk taking child and has been since birth, the dirtier he is the better, he loves mud and know what to do with a dump truck and front end loader like there is no tomorrow. Now both of them loved trains, and we have more wooden Thomas the train stuff than I know what to do with and it still gets hauled out daily. I used to buy Dylan cars and trucks when he was little. Dylan is a complainer and Avery is a go with the flow kid. Avery really never pushes my buttons but at 3 Dylan knew just how it worked. Sometimes I felt that Dylan was my arch nemesis and we mix as well as oil and water. Until I looked at the big picture, Dylan is like his father and Avery is like his, even though Dylan has grown up in the same house with my husband for the past 5 1/2 years. Dylans father is very uptight and afraid of many situations, he told Dylan one time that there were Ticks in grass, and now when he sees high grass he wont walk through it for fear of ticks. This is the man that when a new sickness comes around he believes he has it, his whole family is like this. Once upon a time he thought he had the West Nile Virus from mosquito's. Now Avery father is a risk taker, never by the book and is happy go luck doing what ever. Doesn't take much to entertain him. Is not afraid to live life to the fullest, his mantra is You can't escape what is going to happen to you, because it will eventually get you in the end. The only things that my kids have gotten from me is my temper and my brown eyes. That is it!!! My mother says that brown eyes, show the world that you are full of shit!!! Gee Thanks mom. Each one of these childrens paternal grandparents have told me that they are exactly like their father when they were younger. I am starting to think that Nature hold water in my case, these kids were predisposed to be who they are and I had nothing to do with it. I wonder if I had a 3rd if it would be like me or not. I do not think that is a chance I want to take, I think I would end up fighting with myself.
This weekend we went to a (AA) Baseball game, the Jacksonville suns, Avery was in hog heaven, he loved it, Dylan on the other hand was ready to go as soon as we walked through the gate. Then on Sunday we went to the beach, this was Dylan's forte, he was in his glory, Avery on the other hand doesn't care for the water and after 4 hours we had to peel Dylan away from the ocean but Avery had been ready to go for like 2 hours!!! GO FIGURE! I don't think I will ever be able to win with these children

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are two totally different kids. I am curious to see what they do when they grow up.

5/22/2006 1:35 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I raised 3 kids and they are all as different in personalities as day and night. They were all raised in the same house by the same parents...my 2 boys are especially so different from each other..my oldest one was a handfull to raise....the middle one was a breeze. As adults they are still so different from each other.

5/22/2006 2:59 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I have also wondered about the nature vs nuture thing myself. I am always astounded at people who make lemonade out of lemons and those who have a cushy life but think thier life sucks. Often, these people are from the same family! Go figure!

Good blog today!

5/22/2006 6:40 PM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

My Kids were all different from each other. We come into this world different than any other person. Parents are to protect and love each individual letting them grow into the best person they can become I think.

5/23/2006 3:27 AM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

You win if they grow up drug free and happy. We do impart things to our children. We teach them about love and caring. We give them examples of honesty . They learn from us more than we know. So I think it is both nature and nuture.

5/23/2006 10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

6/11/2006 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home