11 July 2006

Pullin at my Heartstrings!!!

Well today is hubbys duty day here in the land of Chaos!!! That means tonight, I am alone and this will go on every 3rd night for the next couple of weeks. I am actually using my time very well today, I have done laundry, vacuumed, and cleaned the carpets. I am currently on break and will mop floors and fold clothes when I am done blogging.

The other night hubby tells me that he needs to get his underway shopping done. Underway is the period when he is gone on deployment, there are no Wal-Marts under the ocean ya know. This means he has to have enough deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste and tooth brushes, razors...(you get the picture) to last him a couple of months. Then he takes all of the Dvds, his portable dvd player, books, and any other entertaining thing that he can think of. His only personal space is a bunk room with 8 other sailors, they sleep in beds referred to as "racks". The size of the rack is about 3/4th the size of a twin matress, that lifts up to reveal a storage area for clothes. The only privacy is a brown vinyl curtain!!! He lives like this the whole time his is up there. The racks are stacked 3 high and in order to get into the top one you have to hang like a monkey from pipes above and swing yourself in. Inside each rack you have about a foot clearance from the matress to the bottom of the other guys rack. I really have to give him credit, I know I would snap having this little bit of space, I guess that is why he is on a submarine and I am a housewife.

Well my husband informs me that he wants a new MP3 player for this patrol, he wants an iPod. Not just the plain jane one, he needs the one with video capabilities, the $300 one!!! He wants to be able to download his shows from iTunes so he can watch them while underway. Of course it pulls at my heartstings..because he does miss out on life here while gone. But then I think NO. He always gets what he wants, he has more technological gear than he needs. The problem is that every time he comes home they have something bigger and better that they have come out with while he was gone. He always gets new, and better than before. If he gets this iPod thing, then as soon as he returns there will be a better one. I just dont know what to do at this point. Do I let him buy it because he is going away and he can take the comforts of home or do I say no and let that be that and get one at a later time. I never just get things spur of the moment. I am always buying things for my kids or such. Just yesterday I went to JC Penny, he got 3 shirts and I got school clothes for the kids. Did I get anything, of course not. The sacrafice. I am going to go and get a scratch off lotto ticket and if I win I am buying something for myself with all of the money!!!!

10 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

OH Honey, its a husband thing not just a navy thing. My hubby just goes out and gets 300$ pipes for his Harley and $200 speakers for his van to go with the in dash DVD player he just bought. And I feel bad if I buy myself the first season of Charmed on DVD. It seems the mens wants are always first and they are ALWAYS expensive!

7/11/2006 7:30 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

the only difference between men and boys are the price of their toys!
Get him the ipod....and then go get a nice big present for yourself and Kristi dont you dare feel guilty!!!! You deserve it Sweety!!! Get something you have always wanted.

7/11/2006 8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because of what boat life is like I say let him get it. But you GET YOUR SELF SOMETHING TOO! And if he gives you any shit about it let me know!;)

7/11/2006 10:35 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

You and I are so much alike it is scary. The last thing I bought myself that was personal was underwear and a pair of sandals sometime last spring. I once mentioned to my gadget husband I was thinking of a mp3 player for my birthday, you know, like a $50 one but I could not remember the name MP3 so I said IPOD and he went out that day and got me a $300 IPOD. I freaked out and made him take it back and get me the cheapo one. Men! I would get him the IPOD and say it is a combo birthday, anniversary, father's day gift. So, don't expect anything else until Christmas! Then think of something you have been wanting for a long time that will make you happy for a long time, something you will always keep so that it is worth price of what you paid for it (A $300 item over twenty years is only like $6 a month...it cost you less than 25 cents a day to purchase that item if you keep it that long)

Let us know what you get!

7/11/2006 11:35 PM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

There will always be something better than what you bought come out right after you make a purchase. Get him the Ipod.

I also have a hard time getting something for myself.

7/11/2006 11:51 PM  
Blogger L said...

I agree there will be something bigger and better always, but you have to take care of you too buy something for yourself and dont think nothing about it.

7/12/2006 1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristi, maybe you don;t lean toward the expensive when you want pampered. If your idea of special is fresh flowers or bubble bath, then indulge. If we occassionally take a "me" moment it suddenly comes that much more easy to give.

7/12/2006 1:34 AM  
Blogger Big Pissy said...

I agree with what Mimi said!

But you don't have to let me know if he gives you any shit for it~since I know that Mimi has that covered! ;-)

7/12/2006 2:54 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Oh those packing days are such a pain in the as*. My husband was on a ship and I thought that would make anyone run away screaming from clausterphia! Bravo to your husband for all the hard work he does. We need men like him.
I'm a sucker for giving in to the big lugs. I bought my hubby a refurbished one from apple.com. They come with same warranty and are a lot cheaper!

7/12/2006 4:03 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

After hearing tales from my son when he was on ship for three months I agree with mimi. But YOU deserve to get yourself a treat too, so there!!!!!!!

7/12/2006 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home