02 August 2006

Hunt for an Alarm Clock


Today was the countdown, school starts next Tuesday. I am ready but yet not. By school starting means I have to get on a schedule, I have to be the first one up and the one that makes lunch and pushes everyone else to get out the door. Unfortunatly I have a hard time with this. I guess over the past 6 years of my husband getting up before dawn, I have learned to tune out his alarm clock. For that matter, any alarm clock. I could sleep through a freight train roaring through my house if I had too. I am one of those, "just 5 more minutes" people. My poor son is usually late to school. My neighbor gives me hell about it ( her son goes to the same school) When my husband had a chance he would call me in the morning to make sure I was up and moving. But he is leaving shortly and I will not have him to do that. I don't need an alarm clock, I need a clock attached to a Tornado Siren. Now when my kids wake up in the middle of the night, I can hear them before they intend on me hearing them. I have always been very alert to them. But have someone break in my house and I think I would be shit out of luck.
Take for instance last night was a rough sleeping night, both boys got up in the middle of the night and made their way to my room. They crawled into bed so now my King size bed is playing host to 2 adults and my 3 & 7 year old. I was squished and hot so I moved into the youngest ones bed to get a little more comfortable. This morning when my husband left for work, my youngest crawled into his bed with me and fell back asleep. Around 9 am this morning I heard a door slamming so I jumped up, Avery was still with me. I question was that Dylan? I start looking for him, my room - no, the living room-no!! Oh my god he has been kidnapped or he has left. I open the back door and scream his name, no answer. Then my cell phone rings, oh no!!! its the kidnappers and they want ransom. I answer it, it is my neighbor (the one who gives me hell) she wants to know where I am. I tell her I am at home. Appparently Dylan has gone to her house looking for me, who was asleep in his room. Thank God she was at home, what a horrible mother am I?? Wait I am not horrible, he should have stayed in his room, then he would have woke up and looked in my room. He looked everywhere in the house for me but his room. I was more embarrassed by what had happened than horrified. Boy oh boy what the family therapist will think now. I told him that it was good that he went to Ms. Vanessa's house but that he should never leave our house without permission. I explained to him that I would never just leave him like that.
So this morning I slept through my son looking for me. I guess my 6th sense of being an alert mommy has worn off. Now I am down to 6 more practice mornings before school starts, I am also in need of the loudest alarm clock ever created by man and I intend to find it in the next 6 days!!! This is one of my many challenges.
Open house for the school is Friday night....yea! I will get to meet my sons 3rd grade teacher. It seems like he was just a baby like a year ago. Where does the time go??? I think that is the eternal question. I wonder if there is like a hour glass just filling up somewhere!!!

If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylums would be filled with mothers. ~Edgar W. Howe

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO! But I know how you feel.I used to be very alert to Binker. But somewhere along the line I developed the ability to sleep through his crying for a bit. I feel like a terrible mother for not having that sense anymore. But I am a deep sleeper who goes into another world. And I am still there when I wake up for a bit too.

When I was about 7 I woke up in the middle of the night and could not find my mom. A friend was staying the night so we called her parents who said they were on the way. My mom then came inside, she was outside working on our pool. Luckily my friends parents (who lived far out in the boonies) had not yet left the house.

8/02/2006 10:19 AM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

Get two big alarm clocks and give one to your son. Give him the responsiblity to wake you up if your clock doesn't. Tell him with daddy gone he has to help a little more.

8/02/2006 10:34 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

hello there. i see you everywhere and always enjoy your comments. send here by Dr. John but i have been wanting to get here for a while too...

you must be in a different school schedule. ours don't start for another month..i don't want summer to end yet...

good luck with the new yr to all..

8/02/2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I agree with Dr. John. Hello! just passing by from Dr. John.

8/02/2006 12:25 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Sorry about your son taking off like that looking for you. Maybe your neighbor could call you every morning to make sure your up since she seems to be aware of your sleep habits anyway!

I have to get up earlier this year because my daughter starts junior high this year and she has to be out of the house by 7 a.m.!!!

Sent by Dr. John.....

8/02/2006 4:22 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

why cant your next door neighbor just give you a phone call when she gets up so you can get your kids up??? sounds reasonable aye kristi? lol

8/02/2006 4:50 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

ooops..here from dr john

8/02/2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

Hi cool nice blog From Dr.johns Crazy Object b.

8/02/2006 6:07 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I could sleep through a bomb going off but when it's time to wake up I don't need an alarm clock, it's nice on work days but does have it's disadvantages on off days. Dr. John sent me.

8/02/2006 6:27 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

School! Ahhhh! Thank heavens I have a few more years before that but not long. I don't wanna go! (Send my daughter) I think I'll toss the Homeschooling option around a bit. Take care. (sent via Dr. John)

8/02/2006 6:30 PM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

thaks for stopping by..know it is just part of some little game ya'll are playing..but come back and visit anytime...it just keeps on getting better....jackie

8/02/2006 6:40 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

I am the same way. However, my daughter is now thirteen and I don't worry about having wake her up. Not to mention, she claims she would rather be up by herself instead of listening to me tear up the room for my missing blouse or pants.

I think Dr. John has a great idea.

8/02/2006 7:20 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John -- whose marathon directed me here -- does have a great idea. As a teacher I have something to add -- your son may soon begin to get in trouble for being tardy. That really isn't fair if its not his fault, but the teacher may not care.

It is a hassle to have kids trickle in after a lesson is started. Many teachers find it necessary to back the lesson up for that one student -- while 29 others have to wait and get bored. (This is not my style, but I have seen it many times.)

Then, when the bored kids get restless and things get out of hand, the teacher comes to the conclusion that it was the tardy child's fault, and he or she gets punished for being tardy and disrupting the class.

8/02/2006 7:54 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Just passing through today by way of Dr. John.

8/02/2006 9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

giggling...that was a cute. I can sleep through most alarms also. I have learned to put the alarm clock on the other side of the room..so I would have to get up to turn it off.

8/02/2006 10:06 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

The idea of having your son get up to an alarm and then waking you up is not a bad one...if he will get up. My dad gave me an alarm when I was 7 and I've been getting myself up ever since.
Here via Dr. John.

8/02/2006 11:05 PM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

I am like Cindy. I get up at the same time every day at 6:oo but Dr John is up at 5:oo. We have no where to go. On Mondays I have to get up to put out the garbage. This no help for your problem.
Came from Dr John.

8/02/2006 11:14 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

What you need is an Alarm Clock that has a sound of a buzzer. The ones they use for basketball games. I think even the neighborhood would be awaken by this.
Thanks for dropping by and I'm here too from Dr. John.

8/03/2006 1:48 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

School beginning is a hectic time. I never feel comfortable until about the third week into a new year. I have five kids.

But only two still in school at home. I hate to see them grow up, but will glad to be done with school. Routines.......yuk...

Dr. John sent me over.

8/03/2006 3:37 AM  
Blogger fennymun said...

I totally understand how you feel - waking up and rushing here and there to get the kids ready for school. Sometimes I keep asking myself why it has to be MOTHER who does this job?!...

Thank you by stopping by my blog. Though it's part of Marathon, hope you'll stop by again.

8/03/2006 12:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the visit! Moving better today. I understand your alarm clok woes! I have a son who could(and does) sleep through anything including a bomb! He's 26 now and still cant get up! Over the years I hated the alarm clock ritual so much that I've trained myself to wake up before it goes off. How? I dont know!

8/03/2006 2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha!! I love the quote! GREAT BLOG as well!

8/03/2006 3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read Laptop 1920 screen Xanax weight gain Advance mortgage car loans computers dvd games ladies award ring wheelchair accessibility http://www.lamictal-6.info/find_cpu_speed.html Laser hair removal chicago il anna teen nude Patent artist free text info1997 suzuki gsxr 750 wiring diagrams clomid cyst Dating service interracial computing components cpu cpus threesomes we live together cpus khler arkua cpu coolers http://www.cellulite-95.info/Dodge_county_property_taxes.html

2/15/2007 10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home