09 April 2006

A visit to Williamsburg


Well we decided to go to Williamsburg, Virginia yesterday. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. We made it to the Williamsburg Visitor's Center, I figured we would get the information we needed and see some places of interest. The ladies at the desk we very helpful, telling us about the bus tour for $34 a person or the free walking tour. So we found out that we could walk a 1/4 mile to see one of our Nations most historic cities. So we decided that the walking tour was going to be the choice for us, it did not allow us into the exhibits but there were not so many of them and the closed at 5pm and it was already 3pm so if we did pay we would not get our moneys worth anyway. But we could walk and see the town and then there was shopping. Well we started out the door and it started to rain. So we had a jacket, an umbrella, and we bought my son a poncho. And off we were to the historic town. Muddy and wet we made it, it was really neat to think I was in a place so much history had taken place. We kept walking to the town center where all of the shops were to stay out of the rain. What is this we see, cars and parking lots. The ladies at the desk failed to tell us that we could drive into the city, and park for a nominal fee. We could have skipped the rainy walk there and back. But I always say a Memory was made on this trip, we will never forget our trek to Williamsburg in the rain and our trek back. My son did really well, never asked to be picked up once. We did get to see the drum and fife corp, that was part of the paid tour but some how we were in the right place at the right time. I hate how commercialized America's history has become. I know that they need money to help keep up the places but why so much? Well I wonder what we will do today? It is not supposed to rain but it is real cold and windy. I am thinking something indoors...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have been there a few times. Durk really likes it there. Did you eat at one of the taverns? They are expensive but very tasty. We like to eat at The Kings Arms. They have good peanut soup! I like all the gift shops too, but if you go to one, you see all the stuff they have at all of them really. Did you get pics in the torture things you stick your hands in head in?

4/09/2006 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home